Thursday, October 9, 2008

Teachers on Strike, Mom Needs a Valium!

So I get a call Monday morning while I am making Amanda her lunch for school. She is already eating breakfast, dressed for school, bus comes in 15 minutes. It was the school district saying that school is cancelled due to the teachers union organizing an illegal strike. They want smaller classes and super-duper expensive insurance. So that changed my plans for the whole day. I made calls to the superintendent and the union representatives letting them know how unhappy I was and that I thought that nobody on either side had the children's best interest in mind. Both parties were only thinking of themselves.

So I made the best of it and took the kids to the museum with a friend. I figured I should at least let my kids have hands on education.

I get a call Monday night saying that no agreements were made and that school was cancelled on Tuesday also. So I took the kids to the zoo with the same friend. Again, more hands on education and the zoo was completely empty. We had a great time. While we were at the zoo the school district called and said no school on Wednesday. Bummer.

It rained on Wednesday so we just had to hang out inside the house, plus the house needed to be cleaned. Phone call again, later in the afternoon. No school on Thursday. How long will this last? Well, the school district had to get the courts involved and now there is a court order that all teachers must report to school on Friday. So I will wake up early to get my kids ready for school and there better be a bus to take them and bring them home.

Honestly, what is the point of a teachers union? I don't think that the teachers would have gone on strike if the union didn't tell them to. Now the teachers and the union will be fined and I am not sure if I even want my kids going to public school. It has really changed my mind. If I can afford it in the future, my kids will go to private school. I don't think they have to deal with politics like this.

So there, I have vented and I feel better. School tomorrow!!!!And I really don't need a valium.

6 comments:

Julie B. said...

I agree!!! We will wait to hear if they really do go to school on fri. Love you. You are a great mom.

Britt said...

YIKES!!! I didn't know teachers could do that. I bet the kids didn't mind but that would screw up my day for sure. Good Luck!

Cristy said...

Huh! That's crazy! I've been debating whether or not to put my kids in a Charter school or not. Interesting take on it...

kristi said...

Teachers are so UNDERPAID it is ridiculous. Then to give them beyond reasonable class sizes, I almost don't blame them. Unfortunately who it hurt was the kids and not the district.

Kenn and Natalie said...

Wow, that is crazy! It does make you question public schools doesn't it? At least you made the best of the situation.

Tiffany said...

That's crazy what are they thinking? Wow. you are good. I would've just stayed at home and let them fight each other to the death. That's how good a mom i am.