Thursday, July 24, 2008

Matthew Moments

You know those times in life where you feel like you want to crawl into a dark space and hide because you are so humiliated. Well, I had one of those experiences the other day. I was embarrassed not for something I did, but my children. To fully understand the situation I have to explain events that happened earlier in the day....

Matthew and Amanda were playing upstairs and I went to check on them. Matthew had decided to show private parts and thought it was funny. So I sat him down and explained to him that we don't do that. I said we don't show our penis to others and left it at that.

Later in the evening the kids and I decided to visit Jared at the hospital because he was working late and we hadn't seen him all day. We just stopped by for like 5 minutes (you see where this is going). Jared and the attending doctor were at their stations which are close to each other, and the kids and I were getting ready to leave when Matthew just blurts out "penis". Jared wonders what exactly am I teaching our kids.

And then Matthew says it again and louder this time so that the attending doctor can hear. I can see him smiling. Matthew blurts it out again and starts laughing this time. I feel my face getting red and it doesn't help that Jared is starting to laugh. Oops, he said it again, and again. All the while I am saying Matthew don't say that. Amanda is laughing and I am pretty sure she doesn't know why. At this point I feel the need to explain to the attending Dr. why my son is saying this word and it doesn't help the situation at all. Then a nurse comes in and Amanda says "my brother just said penis". YIKES! Where is the duck tape when I need it.

As I was leaving I manage to say "it is good to see you again Dr. ", and he replied "likewise" with a grin. Jared called later that night and said that it was the funniest thing they had heard all day. Apparently Dr. G was laughing for a while after I had left, and Jared too.

So my embarrassing moments are more my children's moments. I am sure that one day I will look back at this moment in my life and laugh. But just not now.

4 comments:

Cristy said...

HAHAHAH! Sorry, I know this was NOT funny for you at the time, but come on, you have to have these stories for later in life! Classic.

Christina said...

PENIS!! ha ha, yes that is funny to say! My kids get me with stuff like that ALL the time, so I feel your pain. At least he wasn't shouting Vagina...

Britt said...

Oh my gosh! That is so funny. I would tell all his girlfriends when he gets older. That's the way to "get him back"! This is also the reason I haven't told Bradley it's called a penis.

Tiffany said...

Thats great. I'm sure times like that are going to be more prevalant in my life soon. Maybe i'll just never tell him anything. I loved the picture of Ethan and Savannah how cute.